1st Lieutenant – Jackson Via – Company B

All Rights Reserved ©1997, 2015 –  Steven R. Teeft

Jackson Via was born in Franklin County Virginia about 1829, son of Anderson and Jane (Vest), they had 11 children. Anderson was Born March 15, 1799 and Died August 25, 1874 in Franklin Co. He married Jane Vest on April 29, 1824 in Franklin Co., daughter of Littleberry Vest and Polly Moor.

Little is known at this time about Jackson’s early life.

Jackson was a school teacher in Boone County, VA;  In May 1861 Jackson was commissioned as a 2nd Lt in Company D (1st), 36th Virginia Infantry in Peytona, Boone County, Va.; age of 32. Company D (2nd) was reorganized on May 27, 1862 and re-designated as Company B.

Jackson Via was promoted to the rank of 1st Lieutenant. He served throughout the war, he solely commanded company B, in early 1864 when Captain McSherry was captured in Boone Co. 1st Lt. Via lead his company until he himself was captured at Waynesboro, Va on March 2, 1865 and was sent to Fort Delaware. He was released on June 17th, 1865. He had grey eyes, dark hair, and was 5’8″ tall. Jackson entered the Camp Lee soldier’s home in Richmond Virginia on March 28, 1886. Jackson had a disability with his legs as he called them “Paralyzed”. Jackson at the age of 56 stayed for a short time, only to check himself out of the Soldiers home, for no known reason. Nothing else is known about his where about afterwards.

He had a Brother named Stephen “Sparrel” who served also with him in Company B. Sparrel (as he was known as) was born in 1828, enlisted in Franklin Co., on November 10th, 1863. He served throughout the remainder of the war, and married Mary Cochran. Sparrel died of dropsy on June 10th, 1888 in Patrick Co, Va.

NOTE: If you have any further information related to Jackson or Sparrel Via, please Contact Us.

Echoes Through Time

4 hours 31 minutes ago

Echoes Through Time shared Andersonville National Historic Site's post.

A Glimpse into Andersonville’s Archives

Chartered in 1883, the Women’s Relief Corps (WRC) served as an auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic. In 1896 they obtained the land that was once the location of the infamous Andersonville Prison, and right away started making improvements to the run-down condition that they received it in.

One of their first projects was constructing a cottage on site for families visiting Andersonville National Cemetery to use. This nine room, brick cottage sat on a piece of newly acquired land that the WRC purchased as an expansion to their preservation effort. Their ultimate goal: to memorialize the prison site. Efforts to create a memorial to the Civil War prisoners who suffered and died in the prison included a memorial rose garden, memorial orchard of pecan trees, and a road surrounding the historic prison site for visitors to use to explore.

By 1910, the grounds became almost too expensive for the WRC to maintain. It was then that the U.S. Government agreed to a land transfer. A WRC monument was erected at Andersonville in 1911 to honor the efforts of the women managing the site, followed by a monument to one of their founding members, Lizabeth Turner. While the government owned the land, however, the WRC still managed some aspects of it until the 1950s.

The WRC medal handed out to its members was in the shape of a Maltese cross. Some with red, white, and blue ribbons, others (like the one pictured) have the red, white, and blue stripes incorporated into the medal. “F.L.C” is engraved in each one to remind members of the Corps’ founding motto: Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty.

This metal, along with other items in our collections, will be on display in the National Prisoner of War Museum later this year. (JH)(NPS Photo)