36th VA – Assignments & Engagements

All rights reserved @ 2015, Steven Teeft

The 36th Virginia Infantry’s first assignment was with the Army of the North West, later they served with the Army of the Kanawha. In early January 1862, the regiment was moved to Bowling Green, Ky. There they were placed in the Central Army of Kentucky. The regiment was one of the few regiments which managed to escape capture at Fort Donelson, Tn. in February 1862. They returned to Virginia, and soon served in the Valley District of the Department of Northern Virginia. In the spring of 1863, the regiment joined the Army of Western Virginia. They served until they merged with the Army of Western Virginia and Eastern Tennessee, until the beginning of 1864. In May 1864, they were attached to the Army of the Valley District (Stonewall Jackson’s old 2nd Corp.). The 36th Virginia served in this Army for the remainder of the war. The following list shows the specific command assignments of this regiment.

  • July 15, 1861 – Assigned to General Wise’s Brigade, Army of the North West.
  •  August 13, 1861 – Assigned to General Floyd’s Brigade, Army of the Kanawha.
  •  December 16, 1861 – Assigned to General Johnson’s Army.
  •  January 31, 1862 – . Assigned to General Floyd’s Brigade, Floyd’s Division, Central Army of  Kentucky
  •  April 9, 1862 – Assigned to General Heth’s command.
  •  July 3, 1862 – Garrison duty, Monroe County Virginia. Valley District, Department of North West Virginia.
  •  September 9, 1862 – Assigned to General J.S. Wilbond’s command.
  •  November 22, 1862 – Unattached, Valley District, Department of Northern Virginia.
  •  October 31, 1863 – Assigned to the 4th Brigade, Army of Western Virginia.
  •  December 31, 1863 – Assigned to the 4th Brigade, Army of Western Virginia and Tennessee.
  •  May 1864 – Assigned to General Breckenridge’s command.
  •  June 17, 1864 – Assigned to General Early’s command, Army of the Valley District.
  •  September 24, 1864 – Assigned to Wharton’s command.
  •  October 31, 1864 – Smith’s Brigade, Wharton’s Division, Army of the Valley District.

The 36th Virginia Infantry disbanded on April 12, 1865 in Christainsburg, Virginia after hearing news of General Lee’s surrender at Appomattox, Virginia. Before the men separated and headed for home, they were given a review of their four years of service, recalling their victories and remembering those who were no longer with them.


The 36th Virginia Infantry had over 2300 men that served in her ranks between 1861 -1865. (An regt. had 10 companies, each company had 100 men = 1000 men per regiment). They took over 50% casualties. 100 men died as result of battle. 150 men died from disease, another 625 men were captured. Of those men captured, 85 of them died in Federal prisons. About 250 men were severally wounded. Several hundred soldiers were transferred to other regt’s when the regiment was reorganized in August of 1861 and again in May 1862.


The 36th Virginia Infantry Regiment participated in 12 engagements in 1861, 14 engagements in 1862, only 2 in 1863, and over 85 engagements in 1864, and 3 in 1865. To the left are a brief list of engagements.

  •  Scary Creek, Va. – July 17,1861
  •  Cross Lanes, Va. – August 26,1861
  •  Carnifex Ferry, Va. – September 19,1861
  •  Fort Donelson, Tn. – February 14-16,1862
  •  Giles Court House, Va. – May 10,1862
  •  Fayetteville, Va. – September 10,1862
  •  Cotton Hill, Va. – September 11,1862
  •  Buffalo, Va. – October 1,1862
  •  Fayetteville, Va. – May 18-20,1863
  •  Fayetteville, Va. – June 3,1863
  •  Cloyd’s Mt., Va. – May 9,1864
  •  Piedmont, Va. – June 5,1864
  •  Lynchburg, Va. – June 17-18,1864
  •  Monocracy, Md. – July 9,1864
  •  Fort Stevens, Washington, DC – July 11-12, 1864
  •  Snickers’ Gap, Va. – July 17,1864
  •  Berryville, Va. – July 19,1864
  •  Stephens Depot, Va. – July 20,1864
  •  Fishers Hill, Va. – July 23,1864
  •  Winchester, Va. – August 10,1864
  •  Winchester, Va. – August 17-19,1864
  •  Opequon Creek, Va. – September 19,1864
  •  Fishers Hill, Va. – September 22,1864
  •  Cedar Creek, Va. – October 19,1864
  •  Fishers Hill, Va. – December 19,1864
  •  Waynesboro, Va. – March 2,1865

Echoes Through Time

4 hours 32 minutes ago

Echoes Through Time shared Andersonville National Historic Site's post.

A Glimpse into Andersonville’s Archives

Chartered in 1883, the Women’s Relief Corps (WRC) served as an auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic. In 1896 they obtained the land that was once the location of the infamous Andersonville Prison, and right away started making improvements to the run-down condition that they received it in.

One of their first projects was constructing a cottage on site for families visiting Andersonville National Cemetery to use. This nine room, brick cottage sat on a piece of newly acquired land that the WRC purchased as an expansion to their preservation effort. Their ultimate goal: to memorialize the prison site. Efforts to create a memorial to the Civil War prisoners who suffered and died in the prison included a memorial rose garden, memorial orchard of pecan trees, and a road surrounding the historic prison site for visitors to use to explore.

By 1910, the grounds became almost too expensive for the WRC to maintain. It was then that the U.S. Government agreed to a land transfer. A WRC monument was erected at Andersonville in 1911 to honor the efforts of the women managing the site, followed by a monument to one of their founding members, Lizabeth Turner. While the government owned the land, however, the WRC still managed some aspects of it until the 1950s.

The WRC medal handed out to its members was in the shape of a Maltese cross. Some with red, white, and blue ribbons, others (like the one pictured) have the red, white, and blue stripes incorporated into the medal. “F.L.C” is engraved in each one to remind members of the Corps’ founding motto: Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty.

This metal, along with other items in our collections, will be on display in the National Prisoner of War Museum later this year. (JH)(NPS Photo)