36th Virginia Infantry – Command

All Rights Reserved @ 2015, Steven Teeft

The 36th Virginia Infantry was organized in the western counties of Virginia, now known as West Virginia. On May 13, 1861 this unit was known as the 2nd Kanawha Infantry Regiment, and on July 8, 1861 was accepted into Confederate State service. July 15, 1861 they were designated the 36th Virginia Infantry.

The regiments commanding officer was Colonel John McCausland. He led this regiment until May 19,1864 when he was promoted to the rank of Brigadier General and transferred to the cavalry, which he commanded to the end of the war. From May 1864 to the end of the war this regiment was then commanded by Colonel William E. Fife. Like almost all civil war regiments, the 36th Virginia Infantry was often known by alternate designations (such as those to the right) derived from the names of their commanding officers, such as Lt. Jackson Via. Unofficially these names were used to identify the regiment.

  •  Colonel McCausland’s Infantry
  •  Benjamin Linkous Infantry
  •  Colonel Smith’s Infantry
  •  Christopher Roles Infantry
  •  Colonel Fife’s Infantry
  •  Peter Morgan’s Infantry
  •  James McSherry’s Infantry
  •  Henry Grosscloss’s Infantry
  •  Francis Thornton’s Infantry
  •  Jackson Via’s Infantry

Echoes Through Time

4 hours 35 minutes ago

Echoes Through Time shared Andersonville National Historic Site's post.

A Glimpse into Andersonville’s Archives

Chartered in 1883, the Women’s Relief Corps (WRC) served as an auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic. In 1896 they obtained the land that was once the location of the infamous Andersonville Prison, and right away started making improvements to the run-down condition that they received it in.

One of their first projects was constructing a cottage on site for families visiting Andersonville National Cemetery to use. This nine room, brick cottage sat on a piece of newly acquired land that the WRC purchased as an expansion to their preservation effort. Their ultimate goal: to memorialize the prison site. Efforts to create a memorial to the Civil War prisoners who suffered and died in the prison included a memorial rose garden, memorial orchard of pecan trees, and a road surrounding the historic prison site for visitors to use to explore.

By 1910, the grounds became almost too expensive for the WRC to maintain. It was then that the U.S. Government agreed to a land transfer. A WRC monument was erected at Andersonville in 1911 to honor the efforts of the women managing the site, followed by a monument to one of their founding members, Lizabeth Turner. While the government owned the land, however, the WRC still managed some aspects of it until the 1950s.

The WRC medal handed out to its members was in the shape of a Maltese cross. Some with red, white, and blue ribbons, others (like the one pictured) have the red, white, and blue stripes incorporated into the medal. “F.L.C” is engraved in each one to remind members of the Corps’ founding motto: Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty.

This metal, along with other items in our collections, will be on display in the National Prisoner of War Museum later this year. (JH)(NPS Photo)