C.S.A – Buried in Western New York

All Rights Reserved @ 2015, Research of Steve Teeft

Did you know that our Western New York area has well over 50 Confederate Veterans resting throughout our area.

Below are just a few of those known Confederates Veterans buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo, New York


Quarter Master Sgt. Samuel HM Hall

Samuel was born on Dec. 29, 1835. His family lived in Buffalo, NY at 189 Virginia St.  Young Sammy Hall attended “Fay’s School” with Adrian Root -known members of “The Virginia Street Boys’. Boys attending the Fay School academy were known by this name.

Just before the war he left for Georgia for work, and possibly had kin living in GA.  Resident of Chatham Co., GA, Samuel Hall enlisted in Company B on May 21,1861 in Capt. Francis S. Bartow’s company in Savanna, GA – 8th GA Infantry. He stood 5’7” tall, and had gray eyes, dark hair.

On January 1862 he served as the Brigade postmaster. Promoted to QM Sgt and transferred to Co. S. He was captured at Petersburg, VA and was taken prisoner sometime following the crater explosion. Sometime after he in late 1864/ early 1865 he took the oath of allegiance and was provided transportation up to NYS, and he made his was back home to Buffalo.

In his post war days, Samuel, lived in the house he was raised in.

He died Oct. 19, 1874 at the age of 38 years 10 months, at his Virginia Street address, and was buried at the Forest Lawn Cemetery, next to one of his Yankee comrades in section #8, lot 1 7 (in what looks like a large family plot). Only a few sections away from his old friend Brig General Adrian Root.

Major Edward B. D. Riley

Edward B. Riley was born in 1840 in the Indian Territory (known today as Florida) , son of Bvt. Major General Bennett Riley (hero of the Mexican War).

Edward graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in West Point New York. Was appointed a 2nd Lieut., and was sent out west to the California territory, as an officer in the 4th US Infantry.

When the war broke out in 1861, Lt. Edward Riley resigned his commission on June 13, 1861, and left with Armistead & Longstreet and others from the post in California, for Texas, and then to Virginia. He served as a staff officer, under Bragg and Johnston and several others, as part of the Confederate staff. His final rank & title was Major & Chief of Ordinance.

After the war, Edward returned to Buffalo, and was employed by the Erie Railroad Company as a Railroad agent. He resided at 146 Elmwood Ave in 1890.

Edward B. D. Ripley died at the age of 78 and died on February 28, 1918, and is buried next to his father in Lot 1 5, Sect 6, at Forest Lawn Cemetery.

Capt. / Asst. Surgeon John Brownlow Coakley

John Brownlow Coakley was born on June 29, 1838 in Stafford County Virginia. John attended Hampton/Sydney Collage. He was listed as a Doctor of Medicine, at the Medical Collage of Virginia in 1861, and attended the Virginia Military Institute.

He was appointed Assistant Surgeon in the Confederate States service and was assigned to the Richmond Hospital, and then was assigned as Asst. surgeon to Colonel Charles E. Lightfoot’s Virginia 53rd Bn. of Lt Artillery. Part of the Artillery Reserves, II Corps, ANV. At wars end he was paroled at Appomattox, Virginia, where he was the only  ranking officer present of his units command, and was in command of the Battalion (of 29 men).

In His post war years, he married Sarah in 1875 in Richmond, VA. John B and Sarah B Coakley came to buffalo in 1880.

He became a board member of the Buffalo Common Council around the turn of the century, then, president of the Erie County Medical Society.  He was a member of the Board of Councilmen and President of the Buffalo Civil Service Commission.

John Brownlow Coakley died of Lung Disease, after a long illness, on June 4, 1924, at the age of 86 years. He is buried at Fares Lawn Cemetery, in Buffalo, NY, in Lot 43, Sect 1.

If anyone is interested in more information or know of any information of other CS veterans buried in Western NY or NY State –

please contact me at – director [at] EchoesThroughTime [dot] com


Echoes Through Time

4 hours 33 minutes ago

Echoes Through Time shared Andersonville National Historic Site's post.

A Glimpse into Andersonville’s Archives

Chartered in 1883, the Women’s Relief Corps (WRC) served as an auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic. In 1896 they obtained the land that was once the location of the infamous Andersonville Prison, and right away started making improvements to the run-down condition that they received it in.

One of their first projects was constructing a cottage on site for families visiting Andersonville National Cemetery to use. This nine room, brick cottage sat on a piece of newly acquired land that the WRC purchased as an expansion to their preservation effort. Their ultimate goal: to memorialize the prison site. Efforts to create a memorial to the Civil War prisoners who suffered and died in the prison included a memorial rose garden, memorial orchard of pecan trees, and a road surrounding the historic prison site for visitors to use to explore.

By 1910, the grounds became almost too expensive for the WRC to maintain. It was then that the U.S. Government agreed to a land transfer. A WRC monument was erected at Andersonville in 1911 to honor the efforts of the women managing the site, followed by a monument to one of their founding members, Lizabeth Turner. While the government owned the land, however, the WRC still managed some aspects of it until the 1950s.

The WRC medal handed out to its members was in the shape of a Maltese cross. Some with red, white, and blue ribbons, others (like the one pictured) have the red, white, and blue stripes incorporated into the medal. “F.L.C” is engraved in each one to remind members of the Corps’ founding motto: Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty.

This metal, along with other items in our collections, will be on display in the National Prisoner of War Museum later this year. (JH)(NPS Photo)