Our Adopted Monument

We are happy to announce that the Echoes Through Time Learning Center has adopted the Monument of the 154th NY Volunteer Infantry, located on Costner Ave, outside of Downtown Gettysburg.

The Monument of the 154th NY Volunteers at Gettysburg

154th New York Infantry Regiment

The monument to the 154th New York Infantry Regiment is on the northeast side of Gettysburg on Coster Avenue, one of the few monuments in the town itself, (39.835133° N, 77.227571° W) It was dedicated in 1890 by the State of New York.

The 154th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieut Colonel Daniel B. Allen. It brought 274 men to the field.



Inscribed on the Monument

From the front of the monument:

154th New York
1st Brigade, 2nd Division
11th Corps
July 1, 1863

From the left side:

July 2nd and 3rd
occupied position
on East Cemetery Hill

From the rear:

Killed, men 1.
Wounded, officers 1, men 20.
Captured or missing,
Officers 9, men 169,
total 200.

Front the right side:

Died while prisoners, 42

See more about the 154th New York Infantry Regiment during the Civil War 


The 1st Day at Gettysburg, as the 154th NY Holds the line


Here is the mural depicting the events of the 1st days fighting at the town of Gettysburg


For more information regarding the 154th NY Volunteers – please contact the Regimental Historian of the regiment at NYVI154th [at] aol [dot] com or visit his website at – http://www.hardtackregiment.com

Echoes Through Time

4 hours 36 minutes ago

Echoes Through Time shared Andersonville National Historic Site's post.

A Glimpse into Andersonville’s Archives

Chartered in 1883, the Women’s Relief Corps (WRC) served as an auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic. In 1896 they obtained the land that was once the location of the infamous Andersonville Prison, and right away started making improvements to the run-down condition that they received it in.

One of their first projects was constructing a cottage on site for families visiting Andersonville National Cemetery to use. This nine room, brick cottage sat on a piece of newly acquired land that the WRC purchased as an expansion to their preservation effort. Their ultimate goal: to memorialize the prison site. Efforts to create a memorial to the Civil War prisoners who suffered and died in the prison included a memorial rose garden, memorial orchard of pecan trees, and a road surrounding the historic prison site for visitors to use to explore.

By 1910, the grounds became almost too expensive for the WRC to maintain. It was then that the U.S. Government agreed to a land transfer. A WRC monument was erected at Andersonville in 1911 to honor the efforts of the women managing the site, followed by a monument to one of their founding members, Lizabeth Turner. While the government owned the land, however, the WRC still managed some aspects of it until the 1950s.

The WRC medal handed out to its members was in the shape of a Maltese cross. Some with red, white, and blue ribbons, others (like the one pictured) have the red, white, and blue stripes incorporated into the medal. “F.L.C” is engraved in each one to remind members of the Corps’ founding motto: Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty.

This metal, along with other items in our collections, will be on display in the National Prisoner of War Museum later this year. (JH)(NPS Photo)