Buffalo’s Militia Units

Buffalo, New York’s Militia Units

during the Civil War

During the Civil War, Buffalo had 2 militia units which protected the city. They were the 65th NY & the 74th NY Militia’s.

Both of these units served as both local defense for the City of Buffalo and the defense of New York State and for the defense of the Union and the United States.

Many of the men who served in the 65th & 74th NY Militia have left the militia to serve in the 21st NY & 48th NY Infantries and the 1st NY Light Artillery between 1861 thru 1863.

During the Civil War, both the 65th NY & 74th NY Militia were called into active service of the United States during the Gettysburg Campaign on June 18, 1863.

Both units left Buffalo on June 19th, 1863 and were sent to protect & guard railroad bridges & crossings in and around the Harrisburg, PA region. They took part in a skirmish near Clear Spring, Md., July 10, 1863.

Following the Gettysburg Campaign, the 65th & 74th NY militia were sent to New York City to help put down the draft riots in July 1863, before both units returned back to Buffalo and were mustered out of Service on July 30, 1863.

Following July 1863 many of the men of the 65th NY Militia had joined the 187th NY Infantry.

The 74th NY returned to active service on November 16, 1863 and served for another 30 days mustering out on December 16, 1863.

The remained of the Civil War the 74th NY Militia guarded & protected the City of Buffalo. That concluded the active service during the Civil War years.

Echoes Through Time

4 hours 29 minutes ago

Echoes Through Time shared Andersonville National Historic Site's post.

A Glimpse into Andersonville’s Archives

Chartered in 1883, the Women’s Relief Corps (WRC) served as an auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic. In 1896 they obtained the land that was once the location of the infamous Andersonville Prison, and right away started making improvements to the run-down condition that they received it in.

One of their first projects was constructing a cottage on site for families visiting Andersonville National Cemetery to use. This nine room, brick cottage sat on a piece of newly acquired land that the WRC purchased as an expansion to their preservation effort. Their ultimate goal: to memorialize the prison site. Efforts to create a memorial to the Civil War prisoners who suffered and died in the prison included a memorial rose garden, memorial orchard of pecan trees, and a road surrounding the historic prison site for visitors to use to explore.

By 1910, the grounds became almost too expensive for the WRC to maintain. It was then that the U.S. Government agreed to a land transfer. A WRC monument was erected at Andersonville in 1911 to honor the efforts of the women managing the site, followed by a monument to one of their founding members, Lizabeth Turner. While the government owned the land, however, the WRC still managed some aspects of it until the 1950s.

The WRC medal handed out to its members was in the shape of a Maltese cross. Some with red, white, and blue ribbons, others (like the one pictured) have the red, white, and blue stripes incorporated into the medal. “F.L.C” is engraved in each one to remind members of the Corps’ founding motto: Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty.

This metal, along with other items in our collections, will be on display in the National Prisoner of War Museum later this year. (JH)(NPS Photo)